Hiking is a recreational activity that we do because we want to, not because we have to. Nobody goes on a hike with forceful feelings. However, the journey is more important than the destination. Listed below are 7 reasons why you don’t need to plan a hiking trip next weekend and weekend after weekend! :
1. Hiking is a great body exercise which will greatly improve your overall physical condition. Many people use hiking as part of their fitness routine. It gives movement impact to your body according to your own pace.
2. Hiking is a great way to explore nature. Most people enjoy hiking as it brings them back to nature. It can bring you to the most beautiful places on earth and into contact with amazing plants and wildlife. We once hiked a hill on an Island in Indonesia with an amazing 360 degrees sea view! That amazing feeling just kicked off!
3. Hiking is easy to start and it does not require high tech equipment and it’s gentle to your wallet too (who needs to sign up for a gym membership?). All you need is a pair of hiking boots or even a ”kasut getah” – the famous pair of shoe used by many Malaysian hikers when they hike, a small backpack, a bunch of thrill seeking friends and a hiking trail. Off you go!
4. Hiking is an activity that allows you to grow in your knowledge and skills. In its easiest form, hiking is safe when you are on a clear defined trails. In its extreme form, it would require mountaineering, survival, hunting, and navigation skills. You’ll pick up these knowledge along the way.
5. Hiking is the mother of all outdoor activities that requires you to hike/climb. It is also part of rock climbing, mountaineering, camping, and a lot of other outdoor activities.
6. Hiking is a year round activity and an experience of it’s own. In fact, being able to hike in different conditions is one of the activity’s most appealing and challenging factors. Hike during the monsoon season in Southeast Asia and hike during snowfall in the Himalayas will give you two different experience in techniques and preparations.
7. Hiking is a great way to get away from things and forget about the everyday stress in your life. It could be an experience you share with others, a way of relaxing or something that can test your own capabilities. Some ascending trail may get you mental at one point but it is all about ”mind over body”. The moment you reach the top, it was all worth the hike!